Thursday, July 13, 2006

Where: Yesterday on a westbound Piccadilly Line.

What happened:
Aj and I were on the tube.
A middle eastern woman ( had a pink hijab around her face) and her husband/boyfriend/partner got in at Hammersmith.
She sat opposite and after a while her partner got an empty seat and sat next to her.
She kept looking at me. Looking at me funnily.
Aj wondered if it was because we were holding hands and chatting away about some random stuff.
Then her partner looked at me more than once.
After a few minutes of this exchange, she had to talk to me.
She bent over across the aisle and asked me if I was.....guess...guess.... if I was a newsreader in Bahrain!!!!!
I told her 'No, I am Indian. I have not lived in Bahrain'.
She asked,' Have you never gone to Bahrain?'
I said, 'No, only while in transit!'
Her partner asks,'What about your sister? Is she in Bahrain?'
I said,' Noooo!'
They then proceeded to be pretty apologetic and told me how I look exactly like a newsreader on a Bahraini TV.

Then, I started smiling.
I had recently had a £30 haircut (all of my earlier haircuts were in the £10 range!), coloured it at home, and,got myself a new Fossil handbag. I was wearing my sunglasses and I felt good about myself. And, I was told that I looked middle-eastern. In my opinion, women there know how to look good. Me a doctor, having chosen to be a psychiatrist was finally looking like a news reader, which is what I wanted to be when I was in school. Plus, I still haven't lost that small flab around my waist. My money was well spent. What a compliment! For the rest of the journey, Aj kept asking me if I was on Aljazeera ;) I wish I was! So people, I now look like a newsreader in Bahrain with a voice like Bachendri Pal. What next!? I can't wait. And did I say, I love the London Underground?