Sunday, July 16, 2006

Movies!

It's been awhile since I wrote about movies. I have seen 2 interesting movies over the last month. The first, which I saw with my friend Anne when I was at Bristol 2 days ago, was Rabbit Proof Fence.

A movie based on a true story, it follows the lives of the 3 'half-cast' aboriginal girls- Molly, Gracie and Daisy. They are taken away from their family as part of the then Government's policies to facilitate 'integration of natives into White Australian culture'. Molly doesn't like what she sees and that starts her long journey home. She takes her two sisters with her and decides to follow the rabbit-proof fence all the way home. Home which is 1500 miles away. She does reach home after 9 weeks of walking. This movie is about that walk. About Australia's Lost Generation. About the disproportion of justice and human rights based on the colour of your skin. About how people try and find justice . Inspirational stuff.

The second movie I saw a month ago. Thank you for smoking is a political satire and one of the best I have seen in that genre of films. I found myself laughing out loud along with many others in the movie hall though the issues being discussed were dead serious. The film's main protagonist, Nick Naylor, is a lobbyist. His sole mission in the movie- to sell cigarettes. And he does it with aplomb. Movie also has a host of top actors on the list. I have taken of some of the quotoble quotes from the IMDb website that stuck in my mind-

Jeff Megall: Sony has a futuristic sci-fi movie they're looking to make.
Nick Naylor: Cigarettes in space?
Jeff Megall: It's the final frontier, Nick.
Nick Naylor: But wouldn't they blow up in an all oxygen environment?
Jeff Megall: Probably. But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. 'Thank God we invented the... you know, whatever device.'

********
Joey Naylor: Dad, why is the American government the best government?
Nick Naylor: Because of our endless appeals system.
********
Nick Naylor: That's the beauty of argument, if you argue correctly, you're never wrong.
********
Both movies very much recommended.