Last week I finished reading my first Hanif Kureishi book. 'Gabriel's Gift'. It was pretty easy reading ( may border on tedious at times) with a simple plot. I kept thinking that the story would take some sort of sinister turn. But it never happened. Instead what uofolded was a heart warming story of how sometimes things settle down, though it may not seem the perfect solution. Set in London, it's about a son and his consistent belief in his wayward father, it's about a wife who wants to live her life but finds that a compromise is not always bad, it's about other themes such as immigrants,glamour and the human need for affirmation. And the best part- it's just 178 pages long! I think I should his read his critically acclaimed 'The Buddha of Suburbia'. Has anyone else read Kureishi? Thoughts?
Thursday, February 23, 2006
Posted by
Sunrayz
at
12:33 pm
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)

|