Tuesday, February 21, 2006

This is Sarasamma. She was our domestic help for nearly 10 years. She was there when I was in 11th grade and she 'saw me through' my undergraduate studies. She was around when I entered my psot-graduate studies. She has seen me through my various hair cuts, bad mood swings and failures. She always knew when I was not myself. I used to go by her house and have tea as I waited for my mom ( Sarasa and Raja stay in the same compound where my mom works, as Raja works in the same place as my mom does)And she had that smile- the one which would make me smile too. She came to work everyday at our house for not more than 2 hours but we used to chat a lot when she was around. We have a special bond.

Her husband Raja, is probably gay or atleast bisexual. He was basically a nice guy but I think the stress of not 'being able to come out' takes its toll on the guy and he goes a little wonky at times. He is prone to spending too much money at times, gets into debts, gossips too much and gets into arguments with various people. Sarasamma is the wise one and keeps him and their two kids going.

Sarasa came over to see me this time I was in India. She has got her daughter married and is hoping that her son gets into a 'government job'. She has got Raja to pay a huge bribe to the guys at the government office and is hoping they give him the job. Her daughter is expecting her first child in two months and her son-in-law is a daily-wages house painter. As he is not employed regularly, Sarasa has to bear all costs related to her daughter's pregnancy. We chatted about all this and more. She wanted to know if I was happy and how come it isn't the same time in London as it is in Bangalore. Speaking to her felt like I had touched base. For years now, I have been asking her to sit with me on the settee or sofa when we talk. Sarasa gives her winning smile and says, 'no amma, you sit there, I am comfortable here'.I just felt so special because she came by to see me. We made a deal that next time I will go to her house.

Note: I like Picasa and all the effects options it has! Sarasa looks wonderful! Plus, two pictures of Chinese fishing nets from from Kerala up on Masalafotos.