...get a HAIRCUT!!
I got a haircut done just before my birthday. I have had various versions of long-medium length hair for over 10 years now. I knew I needed to change my look but it is tough to cut longish hair- especially when others in the family percieve it as a God-sent gift.
Here is an example of the kind of stuff I was told. 'Aiyooo, how can you cut your hair ma?! It looks sooo nice. And it is thick also (I have had my hair felt at times which was basically to emphasize that the hair was indeed thick)!You know aunty.x's daughter? ( I still maintain a smug smile which doesn't say anything, in the hope that the chatter will stop- no luck there!)Poor thing, her hair sooooo thin. She is trying all sorts of remedies. You know, curry leaves in coconut oil, mehendi paste and mixture of yogurt and turmeric (yuck!). Why do you want your cut your hair ma? It is so nice and straight. You know they pay to get hair straightened. And you don't have to do that. Anyway how much were you planning ot cut?' Of course I never answered that.Imagine what I would've had to hear.
So this birthday when Aj encouraged me to get a haircut and my dear friend S sent me money (as my birthday gift) to go to the best hairdresser and get the haircut done,I decided to go for it. Besides, haircuts are v.v.cheap in India compared to the UK.
So off I went, to the trendiest hairdresser Bangalore had to offer. It was v.high tech. Numerous people were waiting on me and, the girl who cut my hair had funky coloured,braided hair. Hmmmm...v.nice, I thought. Till it came to cutting my hair. Horror, horror- she asked me as many times as my family if I realllllly wanted to do it. She suggested just 2 inches off, I said I want it chopped up nice and short. I could see that she was unsure. God dammit, it's my hair. So she cut it and left if at just above shoulder length. Sigh.
I didn't accept 'defeat'. I went to another hairdresser who told me go for a 'wedge cut' and that's what I got finally! I am sure hairdresser no.2 would 've been equally scpetical if I had told her to cut it the first time around.
So now I have a smart,short haircut.
I feel different,it is so much more easier to manage and everyone likes it.I wish I done it earlier.
Just getting the highlights is left now. What colour do you suggest?
Red, maybe mahagony or pink! All my pedammas( aunties older than momor dad), and pinnammas (aunties younger than mom or dad) would just faint...now...that would be v.nice!
Hair today...
...Gone tommorow!
Tuesday, February 28, 2006
When you want a change you....
Posted by
Sunrayz
at
11:48 am
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)

|