Thursday, April 05, 2007

I have traditionally avoided going to the gym.
Reason being that I believed I could 'walk-off-the-calories' or 'just-a-diet-would-do'.
I used to have numerous arguments with various people about how gyms were not necessary. This February,I became a convert. There was no specific reason to start going to the gym except that my birthday was coming up and I felt that I needed to make a commitment to my general health and body. The experience so far has been quite contrary to what I thought would happen. In case you are wondering if it has anything to do with bringing my size down from 14 to 12, no, it doesn't. It has to do with feeling comfortable with my naked body in front of other women.

I had never gone to the women's locker room in a gym before.
The first time I did I was taken aback by my own sense of awkwardness. I was fully clothed and I was seeing numerous women barely wearing anything at all. I have seen numerous women naked before when I did my OBG posting but gosh, that was a clinical situation! Here, I saw a woman blow-drying hair- just wearing panties, another stark naked (cellulite and all) texting someone, a huge (we are talking anything from 34F-36DD) woman just combing her hair and a whole lot of other women in similar states of undress. I was feeling TOTALLY awkward. Why was I feeling this way? I wondered.

Have to get back to work.
Will be back soon.

To be contd...