As I write this I am listening to a BBC Asian network program on inter-religious marriages. Obviously, I am curious to hear what people have to say. So far it has been amazing to hear some really conservative views + the difference in attitude to a son or daughter marrying a person form a religion other than their own. Sigh.
This makes me want to write about why I deleted my Orkut profile.
Initially I got all excited about wanting to keep in touch with 'old' friends ( who I had never kept in touch with) and about trying to trace some more ( I hate to admit ,out of sheer curiosity about what they are up to rather than some well-meaning 'lets all get in touch and make humanity a better place').
Then I started getting these scraps.
From random people I didn't know.
I thought it would stop.
It didn't.
hen someone asked me about my blog- as in 'why are you not posting on MC' ?! I know her very well and she may read this too so P, no offence, but it freaked me out ( +if you are reading this P, then you still haven't given me your blog ID! Hrrrrmph!).
Then there was this whole juvenile element to the scraps which again made me realise I am past this sorta stuff.
I found all sorts of people I don't want to know about and vice verse. So , I pressed the ' delete profile ' button and my virtual life life has been a lot more simpler.
But what disturbed me the most was all the hate groups - anti-Pakistan, anti-India, anti-too many folks moving int to Bangalore etc etc. Holy Molly- people have the time and energy to vent their bile on the Internet too?! Then there was this entire world of caste based groups- which again made me feel hot under my collar. I happened to see the 'Iyer' group -no, I am not an Iyer- and saw this whole dynamic of join-only-if-you-are-an-Iyer-or-else-bugger-off when a non-Iyer had raised an objection to some discussion.
When I heard all the vehement talk about how men and women should marry people from only their caste/religion on the BBC Asia Network I realized things were pretty much the same everywhere - in the virtual and non-virtual world.
It was making me very depressed.
Where is our society heading to??
Or, maybe I am getting older...
Or, maybe I am stupid to believe that humanity can rise above all this...
Had to get this out of my system.
Tuesday, February 20, 2007
Posted by
Sunrayz
at
9:20 am
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)

|