Thursday, November 09, 2006

Yes, I have watched Borat in action. And, I can not think of a more offensive film I have seen in my life. I dare not see it with my mom or Aj's dad. But, I found myself laughing, nearly through the whole movie.

There were moments in the movie when I felt uncomfortable laughing. For instance, when Borat talks women in a demeaning manner. Afterall, I think of myself as someone who is all for women's emancipation, promoting gender equality and women's rights- you get the picture, right? I think I was laughing at the extent to which Borat pushes the limits of all that is accepted as the norm or accepted as what an ideal world should be. Somewhere, after the first 30 mins or so, I started thinking that Borat ( a.k.a. Sacha Baron Cohen) was having a laugh at all those who were watching the movie. Or, is he taking the mickey out of America and Americans? I wondered if he was maybe taking the mickey out of Kazakhstan, but that seemed unlikely. Was there a-joke-in-a-joke-in-a-joke? Hmmm...

I was amazed at his audacity to make the movie in real-time so to speak. There are situations where one would think that he could not have come out alive! Just for that alone, I think I would say that it takes a rare kind of thinking- call it creative if you like- to think the way the he has. All in all , I came out feeling a little weird. I will never forget the clip where I saw two totally naked men ( one of them just so obese it makes you want to send him for a gastric banding operation ASAP) wrestling and running around shouting obscenities. I just couldn't believe it - still can't.

Of course you must watch it. It is highly unlikely you would have seen anything like it and chances are you may not see anything remotely like this for a long time.

I think Borat Sagdiyev would have said here - 'naaaiice!'