Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Got offered a 3 week consultancy to go to, hold your breath, to... Kazakhstan!Then the plan fell through because the people at Borat-land were too busy enjoying their sex.
Ok that's not the reason but that's the thought which went through my head.
However, I guess I did make a good impression with my red skirt because they want me and now I am meeting with the head of operations in the UK on Monday. Let's see what comes out of that.
*******
A friend of ours from Bangalore came home on Sunday. He is an ENT surgeon, 30+ years old, was here for the last year, worked for 6 months and was now going back because the Home Office rules have changed and he was no more eligible to stay back. Plus, the NHS is undergoing a major overhaul which is pretty hostile to International Medical Graduates. Obviously we felt bad for him and thought must boost his morale before he left. But the man seemed to be in good spirits. Apart from working as a doctor for 6 months here he was part of a band and was gigging regularly. For doctors from India ( most of whom are pretty insular in their thinking) this is a major plus.

One thing led to another and we were discussing his love life. That was the first time he used the word 'bird'. It took me a a moment to realise he was referring to women as 'birds'. All I wanted to do was kick him in his balls hard (so that he faints) and then drag/throw him out of the house. But while this image made it's rounds in my head, Aj diverted the topic. I am sure Aj knew it was not beyond me to do what I was imagining. But Bird-Man went on to say how he had a very active sex life, how he used to say to 'willing women' that it takes' two to tango' ( isn't that a crappy pick up line- I could almost puke) and how one of the women said, 'though you are not attractive, there is something about you blah, blah'. He was also using the F work at least once in each sentence. Don't get me wrong, I am not pontificating about bad language. I do firmly believe that for some situations there is no better word than the F word. But when it is used too much I feel like asking the person to shut up. Maybe it was the whisky or maybe it was a need to show off, or just maybe he actually hadn't had any female company at all and was simply creating an 'ideal scenario' to tell us...whatever be the reason I felt very angry and bad. Aj tried to tell me that surgeons are known to talk this way. I guess since I knew Bird-Man when he was a well-behaved intern I was unable to take this massive change in his attitude. If a well educated man talks this way about women, what can one expect from the rest?
*******
My Aussie cousin is engaged to his Dutch girlfriend!! Yay- celebrations on Sunday evening at a pub in Bayswater.