Wednesday, November 09, 2005

When you are down with flu, you listen to news and surf the internet, chat with online buddies to the point when your fingers cramp and say,'damn woman,I can't take it anymore!'.But,some of the news is blog worthy.

K.R.Narayanan, India's first dalit President died today. He was an true intellectual and diplomat. We have some loonies as President but this guy was a one of the best politicians we had. Hope we have more like him in Indian politics. One of the things which fascinated me about him was his wife, Usha (Burmese in origin). She has been credited with translating Burmese literature to English thereby making Burmese literature popular.

Blair has suffered his first defeat in the House of Commons over the controversial terror laws. I was shocked. I thought he would win the vote. The law aimed to allow police to detain terror suspects for up to 90 days without charging them from the current policy of detention for 14 days. It now looks like it will settle at 28 days. I was a little wary of the pace with which he was trying to pass this law. It didn't seem like he had thought through it. Apart from obvious human rights issues there was a strong possibility that those feeling marginalised will do so even more.
No matter what the outcome, I felt it was a minor victory for concept of democracy in the face of outright mockery of the same in Britain's ally, the USA. Events in France should be something of a reminder I think. Maybe increasing the police numbers and investing in facilities to help their functioning is a way out.
The world is not a safer place to live in but victimising a particular section of the society will not make it safer.

Otherwise, I had a major talk with my sister today across the oceans and am persuading her to thing big and aim high. I hope she understands that she is capable of so much more.

I am listening to 'Vault-The best of Deff Leppard'. They rock.

I bought the 'Norton internet security 2006' as advised by the guy who got this laptop going again. C'mon you viruses, spyware and adware, C'mon. You ain't seen anything yet.

Okay, I am rambling. Maybe I am getting delirious or something. Better stop.