I have had a mad week so far. Full of last minute catching up for the assessments next week. No matter how efficient I try to be, it all boils down to the last two weeks. Aaaaagh! These modular courses are killing.
This term's killers are- 'medical anthrolopogy in public health'( where one learns that doctors should not be trusted, compeletely, ever,no matter what,that the word culture has many different meanings,that everything in the world needs to looked at interactions at various levels and you sort of choose which level you are interested in) and 'international mental health'(where we try to hook up mental health with everything- and when I say everything, I mean just about everything! Essay for the unit - Priorities and feasiblity of research in mental health in an IDP- Internally Dispalced Populations- camp).
There is a psychiatrist working at the World Bank (WB) on issues related to conflict and mental health and I thought- cool, let me try for an internship ( the fact that they pay you was another major factor- I know it is bad to be greedy,but what the hell! I have not earned for sometime and I miss it!). Then came the shocker that Wolfowitz may be WB chief! By then I had sent off my CV and the lady wrote back- saying she would love to have me as an intern but currently there was no possibility as things were in a state of flux- should've known there were changes happening at top levels of the WB.
I had also applied to the World Health Organization for an internship under one specific department and....I have been accepted! So, I am off for 6 weeks to Geneva in July to do my desseration! I was mighty thrilled initially and now the reality of the costs are setting in.The internship is not paid and I am feeling very bad asking Aj to finance the whole stay.It is the ex-working woman syndrome I guess - having had my own money for almost as long as I can remember, I feel kind of uncomfortable taking/asking for money. So may have to ask folx back home (who are currently very excited)what they think.
I am off to class now. Hopefully I will get back tomorrow and write about the Anti-War march in London. I think I will join the march at the end. So much to do, so little time.
Friday, March 18, 2005
What a week!
Posted by
Sunrayz
at
7:29 am
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)

|