Wednesday, February 23, 2005

The next time you reach out for chewing gum....

I have been reading and hearing about chewing gum so much over the last two days, that I am finally giving in to the temptation to write about it. Apart from the health issues related to the stuff chewing gums are made of, there is the issue of cleaning the stuff off roads.Issues troubling cities in the developed and developing countries are so different - many who read this may say ,' ok, so what's the big deal?'. Actually, there is no big deal but this is my first year to staying in a developed country so excuse my reactions.

I mean the city council (equivalent to the municipality in India) is worried about the money they are spending on cleaning the roads of discarded chewing gums- costs them 150 million pounds per year!! I mean they are kidding right?! If I convert that to Indian rupees, I will probably have trouble saying the amount, due to the number of zeroes at the end of the number. The more startling point (for me) is that if they are spending 150 million pounds on just doingthis, how much more do they spend on other stuff? What is their yearly budget??? (Sunrayz had a dizzy spell thinking about this,and had to take a breakfrom writing).