Last wednesday I had this sinking sense of doom. I knew we would be seeing a lot more bloodshed in the name of 'the global war on terrorism'(and as expected Fallujah is being razed to the ground with more than 150,000 civilians trapped in the city- read this from River in Baghdad), 'national security (read America's security)', and a change in many policies which really, are a many steps back in the larger scheme of things. Then I started reading a whole lot of articles/blogs from people supporting both sides of the election camps.And I wondered, where did the Dems go wrong and what is it that the Repubs got right?
It seems to me that nothing works better than fear. The continued emphasis on how 'everyone' was out to get America and Americans seems to have worked very well for the Repubs. People of the supposedly most powerful country in the world, seem to be totally occupied with themselves. They did'nt see themselves as global citizens, though Bush and his gang seem to ask the rest of the world to think about global safety (and push others to get into the bandwagon of the 'war on terror'). The level of apathy regarding the issues other their domestic ones is simply,shocking. But then maybe that's too much to expect. Power and reponsibility do not go together,though it is supposed to.
And as for the Dems- they just have four years to get back to the drawing board to see where they went wrong. Why have they lost more ground than last time? Surely,all those who voted for Bush are not bad.This article by Dilip D'Souza may help them to learn lessons from what Congress did when the BJP thought they had got everything right. As for me - I am still wondering how fear can be so potent...and this article and picture from the Economist says it all about the choice Americans and,the world had.Let's pray for those civilians in Iraq who are dying as I am writing this.


Wednesday, November 10, 2004
Well, four more years to bear ,for you ,me and everyone else
Posted by
Sunrayz
at
6:33 pm
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)

|