Monday, September 13, 2004

We are shifting : ) !! We are packing - not again : (

Well, tomorrow I am supposed to get the keys for our new place. A one-bedroom flat (part of student accomodation for graduate students) right in the heart of London. After living in a studio flat for the last 6 months , moving into a one bedroom place seems like a manna from heaven. I am crossing my fingers, hoping that it is quieter than this place (read, trains going past every 20-25 mins to Birmingham, Leiscester, Manchester; neighbours being young students who are noisy and, others who believe that doors are meant to be shut- LOUDLY- aaaargh!).

Getting into each other's space because of a lack of space meant that we did have to adjust to each other- a whole lot. For example - when needed to be alone the other would go the toilet :-), or would go out for a walk,or to the balcony!!! And,none of these options were viable beyond 30 mins or max, an hour (if one chose the option to go out). Many people we know, including my lovely aunt, gave me this 'gyann' (wisdom) - ' it's alright to stay in a small place in the first year following marriage, it's all about adjusting'....sigh....have heard it so many times. So I did enjoy it but to be honest, I so badly needed my space sometimes. I think it was harder for Aj, who used to come back from work after seeing a bunch of people trying to get back into the mainstream life. He must've wanted to just stay quiet, but, yours truly was there,wanting to know all details of what happened in his day :-) But would I chose to stay in a studio again- I have my doubts. It has loads of romantic and 'being cool' potential ,but, practically (if both are working) ,it is difficult.

So , we have to pack ,yet again. There is something about packing which excites me and totally puts be off at the same time. I think I get all excited about seeing a new place. But the packing sucks. Being away from home for the last 12-13 years has meant numerous changes in landscapes and , and from the career I am choosing, looks like I will have to do this many more times. I used to get very anxious earlier ,but ,now I am the Queen of Wishful Thinking and I choose not to get anxious !

In fact both of us got highly nostalgic yesterday about leaving this place. The radio was playing one of the songs I was wooed with- Love is all around you by Wet, Wet, Wet- and we both strated dancing. Wonderful. What did we do next- I started packing and Aj washed up the footmats we have to take, over the next two days.