So, here I am, with 'mai kai noovu' ( body aches in kannada), having taken one disprin to reduce the aches and I still have another 50 % of my belongings to shift !!!!!! How do we accumulate so much stuff? And I thought ,we would'nt have this many things as we were staying in a oneroom place ( I am getting the jitters thinking about what we would have accumulated next year , this time, when we have to shift again. Noooooooooooooooo!!! I don't want to shift. No.No.No.).
But the new place. Has space. Period. Place where both of us can do our own thing and not be in-your-face. No fantastic views like this place we are currently staying- we can see the sky and at night- at any given point of time, we can usually see 13 -15 planes at various distance,either taking off, landing in or bypassing Heathrow,London (which is south west to where we stayed,and they say an average of 30 flights take off and land in an hour,connecting to 170 destinations...I was so damn amazed when I heard that!). It is a splendid sight. Surreal almost- to think that all these planes with their twinkling lights, carrying so many people to exotic places and me down here watching them....feel like a small speck in the whole wide world. New place - look out and you see the buildings!
Coming back to the new place. It has 414 rooms for single students and 229 flats for students with partners. Mind-boggling isn't it? There are students from all colleges affiliated to University of London, such as, Imperial College, King's College, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), London of Economics and Political Science (LSE) and London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM). So you can imagine the diversity of this place. It has a cafe-bar, TV-lounges (yay!! no need to buy TV for sometime!), computer rooms for those who don't have computers, internet in every room, and squash courts. Has been refurbished recently so looks all new and sparkling ,with a very postmodern feel about it. The students look younger. Maybe it will help us to feel younger than what we do now!! :)
No broadband though. So gone are my broadband days with fast downloads. We will now be on a dialup connection. All rooms are now on a service called JANET ,which connects all the educational and research institutions in the UK. I don't know how exactly it works, but I will write about it next week.
I just finished making loads of peas pulav ,so that I don't have to cook for atleast 2 meals. And Aj has gone to the gym (he is totally addicted to weights since a looooooong time) to feel refreshed ( beats me how he feesl that way though- I feel like lazing around,taking a snoze, to feel refreshed!). I am feeling much better after writing this post ;-) Have a good weekend people!
Friday, September 17, 2004
Shifting - Part 2
Posted by
Sunrayz
at
1:12 pm
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)

|