Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Post from an internet room surrounded by students!

Well, the shifting was finally over on Saturday evening and it took us the better part of three days to recover from the trauma! Both of us had bleary eyes and tired limbs. No internet as yet means that my posts might be infrequent for sometime. So I am currently writing this post in the internet room of the place I am staying. There are students around me and I can hear English with an American accent and British accent, German and Spanish. I still don't feel like a student.

The house is compact and looks and very 'studenty'. We are surrounded by students everywhere and it has a very energetic atmosphere. Currently, loads of students descending onto this part of London,going through the process of getting registered.

I met a South African woman of Indian descent (Tamil Nadu is my guess) doing her masters in Social Research Methods (didn't know there was a course like that) and a Japanese girl doing her BA ( I think), when I was lined up in a queue to open my International Student account at HSBC (by the way- they are really good with students). Still haven't met anyone from my college or course. After I finish this post I will be on my way to the college to complete some formalities and I might bump into my classmates.

The other achievement is that I assembled a do-it-yourself(DIY) three shelf, wood (made of beech I think) shoe rack, almost entirely on my own today morning and I felt so important!! Carpenters and the techniques they use to make furniture out of almost shapeless piece of wood used to fascinate me when I was younger. So assembling this felt good. I have developed a sore wrist and the joints in my hands are aching but when I see the shoe rack with the shoes neatly arranged it all seems worth it!