Monday, September 06, 2004

Manchester and Bangalore

My trip to Manchester was good. The weather was warm and cloudy. The roads beyond the city centre were not very well maintained, and poeple were relaxed and friendly. And I am told it is among the more tolerant cities in England ( I find London good too,anyway...). All of these reasons added up, to make me feel that it felt like Bangalore.

Owing to the close proximity of the city centre to the two main university campuses, the streets are full of students. So the city has a young feel to it. I did'nt do any of the sight seeing stuff I do when I go to a new city. Instead, just walked around with my friend to some of the well known streets of the city. One of them being Canal Street.I was told that it is the heart of Gay and Lesbian Manchester and it has loads of character. Chinatown ,as always, had a unique feel about it. I enjoyed seeing the various second hand bookshops around the university area.

I managed to get a lovely pair of red trainers at a very good price,which I would 've never got in London.

And yes, catching up on all the news/gossip was the best part. Manchester is a city which cannot be missed if you are in the UK for a longish visit.