Sunday, August 29, 2004

'Real women have curves' and difficult teenagers


Continuing with my movie reviews - saw this movie with a really simple theme but made with care. 'Real women have curves' (RWHC) describes the life and family of Ana, an 18 year hispanic girl who has just finished high school,and her family in California.

Her working class family is dominated by her neurotic mother (who interprets her menopausal symptoms to pregnancy!) who is convinced that Ana has studied enough, a thirty-something-unmarried sister,who runs a sweatshop making dresses for the top fashion stores,her dad and grandfather who are aware that Ana is destined to go beyond the sweatshop,and,two brothers.

Somewhere in the storyline which focuses on Ana's struggle to make her family understand that she wants to study further,is the story of how women view their bodies and their roles in the society (being married being the real identity of a woman).When Ana challenges her mom,sister and the other women who work in the sweatshop, to question these norms ,the result is a hilarious and heart-warming story.

After having seen many movies with similar themes which becomes all tears and hugs towards the end, RWHC has a similar but simple,understated ending. I also felt that the coming of age of Ana when she has sex with her boyfriend was handled really well.If you get a chance to watch it please do.

It also took me back to my years as a teenager when I was called a rebel/difficult !! Why? Because I voiced my opinion that marriage was all bullshit :-), that- if my folx gave birth to me it was their problem and I cannot be expected to be grateful for that ;-),arranged marriages suck :-),my parents did'nt know a thing about raising children, premarital sex was cool,called some of my relatives 'bad' names (I swear they weren't that bad) etc etc....you get the drift right? Any similar stories out there, so that I feel I am part of a big gang of ex-difficult/rebellious teenagers?Tell me about it! Posted by Hello