Have you ever read a book whose story haunts you long after you have read it? I think this book is going to be one of those kinda books for me.
The book is 'The Kite Runner' by Khaled Hosseini (he is a doctor and that gave me loads of inspiration for the book I keep telling myself ,I must write!). I finished reading it in just over a day.
The book is being made into a movie now and should be released by 2006. Sam Mendes (of 'American Beauty' and 'Road to Perdition' fame) will be the director.
Set between the periods of 1971-2001 in Afghanistan and America it talks of two teenagers, Amir, a Pushtoon boy who has a special friendship with Hassan, a hazara ( lower caste, so to say) boy, just as Amir's father and Hassan's father -Ali- share a strong bond. The interlacing of the events which shook Afghanistan and the personal turmoil, the main characters go through is rich in emotion. I had tears in my eyes at times, at others,laughter and I also felt horror, joy and disgust and anger.The numerous twists in the story don't seem far-fetched - it adds to the irony of the plot.
On another level it is the chronicle of a refugee trying to find meaning in his new life and struggling to come to terms with all the events which have occurred in his past. Anyone who wants to get a flavour of what it means to be a refugee must read this book.
I also got a flavour of Afghanistan- her people and the land.To read all this written by an Afghani - is a treat- it's authentic. Read this - and yes,it's an order.
Sunday, August 29, 2004
The Kite Runner
Posted by
Sunrayz
at
11:34 am
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)

|