Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Trilok Gurtu

Last thursday we went to a concert by Tilok Gurtu at the Royal Festival Hall . The Royal Festival Hall has a lot of shows and concerts which is affordable for poeple like me and Aj who are trying to cut corners ,but yet have a good time.

I have heard Gurtu before in India when I was getting familiar with what the whole genre of World Music meant.I was hooked to finding more about the various forms of music under this genre,when I realised how rich World Music was.

When I heard Trilok Gurtu's music on tape I felt it has an exuberance which touches you and makes you feel good about yourself.The same feeling came back to me when I heard him live- only this time the effect was ..... well.... mindboggling!! He was accompanied by Sanchita Farruque on the vocals who was awesome - listen to some of her tracks on her website and you will know what I mean.

The audience comprised mainly of Indians and most of the pieces ended with the well known Indian way of appreciating good music- claps,whistles and shouting!!! It was great. The show lasted for 90 mins and I came out feeling totally thrilled with myself- why myself?- now dont ask me that!!! :-)))