Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Finally managed to get all the photographs online. So here goes-
On your marks , get set go!!- The walk was staggered over four 'waves', each starting 12 mins apart from each other.I was in the second 'wave'. These folks were the first to leave.
Celebrity guest!Graham Norton was there to blow the starting whistle and lend his support to event.
Well, well, well....check out these ladies!! After leaving the starting line we went through Hyde Park to cross over to Buckingham Palace through the Consitution Arch (also known as Wellington Arch)...
....where reached out 2km mark.
After going through Trafalgar Square we reached Victoria Embankment(VE). Here's a view of the London Eye from the North Bank...
Midway on the VE we reached the 4km mark. By now the sunshine was getting to me. It was just 26 degs but felt much more.
This cutie was at the half way mark handing out water...I wanted to stop and have a chat with him!!
We then got onto the Millennium Bridge(MB). I decided to turn back and take a picture of one of favorite sights in London - a view of St.Paul's Cathedral from the bridge. It looks so nice...
If you look closely you will see many walkers on the MB. Took this once I got onto the South Bank after passing through Tate Modern.
OOne of my other favorite London hangouts- the South Bank Book Market ( for second hand books). If you are in London, you must got there. Especially, on a sunny day.
Passed through the London Eye...at this point the fatigue was getting to me...
People having fun on the giant trampoline with the County Hall overlooking them. Has anyone had a go at this ? I want to.
On Westminster Bridge...by now I was playing the song 'Chalee,chalooo....' from the movie 'Lagaan'on my mind!
We went past Trafalgar Square again and then back to Hyde Park. This couple was eating through out the walk from the MB. They were so obviously in love :)
8km....almost, almost there...
...and, back to Buckingham Palace. By this time it was swarming with tourists.
This pair were with me right from the start. If you notice the woman on the left has a blue pedometer on one of her sandals. I was curious to see how many steps we had walked. So I went pretty close to her when she was climbling the stairs in the Hyde Park subway. It was close to 11,000 steps. Now, that got me thinking- if you have to keep the 10,000-steps-a-day fitness plan, you would have to walk atleast 8 km a day. Now how many of us can do that??!! No wonder it doesn't work.
Finally back to where we started. The 10 km was done in 2 hours and 35 mins. Aj was there shouting and clicking away more pictures. Next year he is going to be taken on the walk.
And, relaxing in the park with music ! It was great. Only side effects have been a general soreness in my legs and knees which has almost gone today. It is funny - till I did it I was unsure. Now that I have done it, I have started looking at other 3km/5km/half -marathon events in the city !!