Expensive. Yes, London is an expensive city. It is, no doubt, a global city and has diverse cultural influences. This translates into the fact that it has many shows, performances and talks that I want to go to. But, till recently I knew of the expensive places. Over the last month I have made the effort to see what the city has to offer for not a whole lot.
Hip-hop - I love to hear it at times. Mind you, a lot if it is jarring but just that right amount for the right duration puts one in a good mood. So, I decided to see 'what was happenin in the street brother!'. Using a narrative steet play kind of presentation, reviews suggested that, Zoonation is the one of the best hip-hop troupes around the city. Last month, I took my friend S who was leaving the UK to start her life in the USA for an evening of hip-hop. It was amazing!! A story based in London's most deprieved areas, a troupe of mainly African -Carribean dancers, and audience that was so much more diverse than what I have so far seen in the Royal Albert Hall or the South Bank this production just rocked. Having always seen a predominance of white folks in the audience, it was a unique experience to be at a show where they were in the minority. Please see a video clip here. Total cost for 2 tickets for a 90 min show- £ 36. I got my money's worth.
This experience made me realise that Sadlers Wells (consists of three theatres in various parts of the city) had some unique shows at resonable prices. Last week I spent another £ 36 and went out with a writer friend of mine ( she was complaining of having a writer's block)to see 'Caludio Segovia's Brasil Brasileiro'. Please see clips of the show here. Lets just say that I was speechless at numerous points - when 3 well built black men came out with nothing but a pair of jocks and did a salsa kinda routine( they were with a bunch of other people but I had eyes only for them), when the guys who did capoeira looked like Ronaldinho's lost brothers ( small frame,long hair + impish smile)gone tipsy on gymnatics, when this truly amazonian woman flexed and timed (+ made us see it through her tight fitting black dress) her gluteus maximus (a.k.a the bum/arse muscles) and many more of such unforgettable moments. You get the picture right :)? Let's just say my friend's writer's block went out of the window! It is still on and so try and see it. You will not be disappointed.
I find it difficult to spend money to watch a movie that I can catch it on DVD unless it is supposed to be a cinematic experience.But,to see a production with live musicians and dancers from all sorts of genres, for a little more - makes me go a little tizzy!
The search for more of such options continue...
Saturday, August 12, 2006
Eclectic London
Posted by
Sunrayz
at
6:03 pm
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)

|