Tuesday, December 13, 2005

We have been watching movies again :)

Last week's trio:
The virgin suicides: This movie will haunt me for awhile. A simple story line and a powerful respresentation of what goes on a small neighbourhood in the USA.
Starsky and Hutch: Enjoyable comedy ,though I thought it was tacky.
Le Divorce: Well,I got excited because it was a James Ivory film and it was a let down. But I think it shows Paris in all its glory. Plus, the use of colours too- v.nice! But,the story - seemed like it was going nowhere...

Yesterday I saw a tamil movie!
If you are a doctor in Bangalore, you have to have a working knowledge of tamil (you know, for those, 'open your mouth', 'breathe deeply', 'since when?','take this twice a day' etc. requests) So, I can't understand much if it is a full blown tamil riot as in a movie :)
So, subtitles were switched on. The movie was Maniratnam's 'Kannathil muthamittal'. I like Maniratnam's movies, especially the themes he selects. This movie is probably one of the v.few that have dealt with the issue of the violence that has rocked Sri Lanka. Lovely potrayal of questions of identity, conflicting emotions within a family and what conflict does to ordinary people. Of course, it is a mainstream movie so there are songs and dream sequence songs too.

I must write about how I got the tamil DVD - my good friend of mine,Ferg, worked in Jaffna for 2 years and is now in Eritrea. I met two months ago and he gave me this DVD. He had bought it from Paris!! Apparently, there is an area in Paris where there is a large tamil population living. They celebrate Pongal with all festivities - going in a procession to the local temple, with many men wearing only a mundu in freezing january! Amazing...

Meanwhile, I slept through what has been described as one of the worst industrial disasters in Europe.