Monday, October 17, 2005

When will we learn?


This picture will stay in my mind for awhile. A Nazi soldier shooting a mother and her child dead. Just like that. I was wondering what he said to them - 'OK now, I need to shoot you now. Stand there in the middle of the fields'. It was one of the many photographs at the Holocaust memorial at Newark. I was there on friday to be part of the Darfur Documentation Project. It was a day that was filled with so many new expericences. Sometimes,I just feel blessed to be learning something new about the humanity and how unjust it is, everyday.


Another shot from my trip. I found this exhibit striking. The holocaust was a black spot in the history of the world. But, personally, I feel that we need learn from it rather than keep dwelling on it. Lessons learnt from the Holocaust needs to be used to stop it from happening again. How can we give an equal importance to preventing genocide and 'acts of genocide' (the term UN uses when they don't want to lable a situation as 'genocide' because they will have to deploy UN forces)? Why can't leaders from Europe and USA congregate and demonstrate their solidarity against genocide at the anniversary of the genocide in Rwanda, not just the Holocaust? This kind of discrepancy in expressing anger and sorrow needs to be equal no matter who was targeted- White Jews from Europe or Black Tutsis in Rwanda.


This is another shot I took. When will we learn? Will we ever learn?

On a happier note, I had my first 'meeting other bloggers' experience when I met Anita and Jag yesterday. It was wonderful. More on that later.