Friday, July 15, 2005

50-to-feel-better

Things have been moving S-L-O-W-L-Y this week. Each day takes a loooooong time to pass by. Aj is still in India and his mom is still in the ICU. I have not been able to kickstart my summer project. I still don't know if I need to make a trip to India. All of this is just bogging me down. And as always, you gotta count your blessings when you are feeling down and out. I am blessed with great friends. All have called me regularly. Some have spent time with me. Some had be over at their place and others stayed over with me at my place. I thank my lucky stars for them.

After reading Mint's post sometime back,I have been planning to take on her suggestion to come up with my 50-to-feel-better. Here goes...
1. I am from Bangalore,India
2. I was single till I was 31 years old
3. I have no regrets over getting married after I was 30
4. I started wearing glasses at the age of 6!
5. Eating, music,dancing and reading form the core of the stuff which keeps me going
6. As a child I used to day dream a lot and weave all sorts of magical
situations in my head
7. Probably explains why I LOVE the Harry Potter series.
8. I knew I had made a mistake in my choice of career on my first day at medical school
9. I hated it so much that I failed in my first year of medicine
10. That failure has been one of the best things which happened to me in my life
11. The first time I travlled outside India was when I was 26 years old
12. When I was in 6th grade I thought becoming a nun was the coolest career choice
13. In 7th grade I thought being an ambassador for the Indian government in an exotic country like Surinam/Fiji was the coolest career choice
14. In my 10th grade I was shocked to find myself running for the school head girl and later being selected too!
15. I led a protest (my friends kinda pushed me) against a decision made by the nuns who ran the school
16. I had to later apologize in front of the whole school for this!!
17. My gang of 6 friends from school are the coolest ever girlfriends a girl can have.Thanks girls!
18. I didn’t marry my first love
19. Thank God I didn’t- it would have been a disaster
20. I knew my Aj for 6 years before we got married
21. It was not love-at-first-sight
22. I have seen Pink Floyd (ok, Roger Waters) perform live!
23. I lost my father to a road traffic accident and a sister who was 3 months old when I was 8 years old
24. I have always missed them since
25. As a result of this I was bought up by my mom and 2 others in the family
26. All three of them are nice people but being in an atypical family of this sort TOTALLY screws your brains up
27. I think it’s a miracle I am fairly sane today despite all the complicated family dynamics I’ve been through
28. My mother is a strong woman and I totally respect her
29. I was an only child for more than 7 years
30. I have a lovely sister
31. I have worked as a humanitarian worker which redefined my priorities
32. I have had long distance relationship (LDR)
33. I would never, ever advise anyone to have a LDR unless it is absolutely essential
34. I am going to have a very funky haircut soon...with highlights and stuff
35. I firmly believe we can realize our dreams if we work towards it and believe in them
36. Any hint of organized or right wing religion (every aspect of it) puts me off
completely
37. I am in the midst of fulfilling my dream of doing Public Health! Yay!
38. The day I went to Gujarat following the communal riots was a turning point of my life
39. The day I left the hospital and clinical medicine was one of the best days of my life
40. I am a psychiatrist married to a psychiatrist
41. And no , we DON'T analyze each other !
42. I can be very nasty and bitchy at times
43. I am more of a radio than a TV person
44. I had my first alcoholic drink at the age of 25! Unbelievable! Have to make up for lost time...
45. I have this strange feeling that I might be a control –freak...must do something about it
46. I don’t have the maternal instinct yet and I am comfortable with that feeling
47. I am currently trying to resolve the dilemma of career or personal life, working women face at some point in their lives
48. I think friendship and trust is more important than love in a relationship
49. I cook but I don’t eat non-vegetarian food
50. Tomorrow I shift home yet another time - for the third time in a year.Gahhhhhhh!I hate packing, especially packing alone :(

And yes, that does feel a little better.