Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Tagged

I was tagged by Antara and so here goes-

Total Number of Books I Own:
In India-My closest estimate is anywhere between 150-200 books. These are my own,as in, these are books I bought myself or got as gifts.
In London-I seem to have collected/bought about 15-20 already! I blame the 3 for 2 offer in Waterstones. I go in to buy one book and come out with three.Its hopeless. How many will I collect once I start earning?! :)

Last Book I Bought:
Again, thanks to the 3 for 2 offers here I bought 3. They were-
- Reading Lolita in Teheran by Azar Nafisi( have written about this book earlier)
- Until the Final Hour by Traudl Junge (written about this in the same post)
- The curious incident of the dog at night time by Mark Haddon. I bought this to gift it to someone. Read this if you haven't. It is by far one of the most original books I have read.And check out the website :)

Last Book I Read:
The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri. I must say that I was totally taken up by her writing. Such a simple storyline and yet intricate in its details. For anyone living away from their home country, this book is a must.
I am currently reading Orientalism by Edward Said and re-reading Popular Music by Mikael Naemi.

Five Books That Mean A Lot To Me:
It is so tough to just list five....since you got write the ones which mean a lot rather that ones you enjoyed reading here goes-
- Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. Somehow the first sentence of the book 'Last night I dreamt I went to Manderlay again' just brings back all the memories of my teens back...
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. Felt so calm after reading this one. It was great!
- India:A million mutinies now by V.S.Naipaul. A book that got me thinking about India and its complexities.
- To kill a mocking bird by Harper Lee.Memories of reading it after my mom had asked me go to sleep are deeply intertwined with this one!
- Out of Place by Edward Said.I was glued to this one till it got over.It will stay with me, forever.

AND the 6th (I had to write this one down)-

- Amar Chitra Kathas. Now,they don't really qualify as books but I have a weakness for them.The last time I was in Bangalore I bought 3 of them and it was just so nice to read them.Luckily, I still have the ones I read as a child :)

Meanwhile,studies is not going too very well. Aj is sick and it looks like it is something more than a flu. I am doing my best and I hope the pace picks up soon.