Friday, April 22, 2005

End of holidays....

So the Easter break comes to a close. It is hard to believe that I just have another 5 weeks of teaching to go, followed by 3 weeks of study leave and then I have my final exams!!! Gosh! Where did the time go?! Then I have 8 weeks of dissertation time, of which I will be in Geneva for 6 weeks, then, that’s it. I have my degree. And, I still don’t know what kind of job I will be doing and where I will be doing it. Very, very scary. But the break was good. It gave me a healthy perspective on my studies and cleared up some of the doubts I had about what I can do after I finish the course. I read some new books. And I enjoyed them. They were-

- Reading Lolita in Teheran: A memoir in books by Azar Nafisi. This is a very different book set in Iran during the revolution and during the Iran-Iraq war. I thought the idea of writing about the author’s experiences of running a book club for her female students, at her house was brilliant. The manner in which she weaves the plots of the novels they are discussing (in the book club) into their daily lives is especially creative. This is my first book about the Iranian revolution so, I can’t review that aspect critically. However, everyone who likes literature and has an interest in history should read this book.

- Until the final hour by Traudl Junge a book about Hitler last years leading up to his suicide in his bunker. I have never read a book about Hitler. And I think I am happy I have read only this one. Despite all he criticism this account has received I think it is a very different view about what actually happened in Hitler’s last days. It is amazing just how full of himself he was.This book has been made into a movie now.
Currently reading a book I had bought earlier. Quite enjoying that too.