Monday, October 04, 2004

A trip to Ridgeway,Oxford

As part of our orientation the entire class was taken to the Ridgeway , near Oxford for two days. If you click on the link, you will see the Ridgeway trail - we stayed in the Youth Hostel , close to a place called Wantage. This hostel is a converted barn and has a quaint feel about it. The Youth Hostel network is one of the cheapest accomodation places you can get all around the UK.

We were told that the whole idea behind this trip was to get to each other well and to have a sapce to be able to share our queries and anxieties with the course organisers. Though initially I was skeptical, I think it was a good idea. The first lecture of the course was given by an imminent Professor in the area of Public Health (with 30 years of experience) ,in one of the barns (converted into a classroom ofcourse!). Sounds all exciting but, it was one of the most uncomfortable places I have ever heard a lecture in. The room was cold( it is a good 4-5 degrees colder than London) and I was hungry.We had just walked about 4 km in the countryside with nothing much to eat. But the man himself is one of the few doyens of Public Health left in the world. He gave a good lecture.

On the lighter side, at the end of the two days, everyone got sick of talking and getting to know each other. Sudden ,intense socialisation (like for example when we attend a wedding in a family) tires me out. I also managed to get a cold and spent the weekend trying to feel better. The average age of my class is 33 years( the youngest being 26 and the oldest 52!). So, most of us are married or already committed. But, I was thrilled to see that no one was behaving like a boring student. There are a few who are single. So there was a LOT of interest to see who was giving the right kind of vibes to whom, and, a healthy gossip scene is already developing ;-) !! Well ,college is college! And somethings, just don't change!