A Routemaster on London Roads (Courtesy- www.overground.org)
Yesterday I decided to get on a bus and travel from north to south London. I had to go Trafalgar Square
Hopped onto one of the buses - a routemaster
Trafalgar square was full of action- a large screen was showing the Olympics as part of the city's bid to host the Olympics in 2012
Went to see the exhibition and it was wonderful. I am all for women taking life by its horns, and making the most of what is thrown our way. So to see that women have been doing this for the last three centuries by travelling made me feel so damn good. This link
India features quite a bit as a destination for many of these women. But what is impressive is that these women dared to defy conventional role models of their times and ventured out- dressing up as men, insisting on learning local culture and wearing local clothes, learning new languages, writing about their experiences positively, and at times making considerable scientific and academic contributions (one of them, has a species of fish named after her!!).
Coming away from there, many of my decisions I took in my life regarding my professional life (which I have doubted in the past) seemed to be right. Reading all these women's stories made me realise that sometimes, one has to hold on to their dreams against all odds.
From there I got on to the wrong bus and almost landed up going to the southwest of the city when I was supposed to go to the southeast. So, took the tube and met Aj.
Bought this really heavenly chocolate cake and ate it- a two layer choc cake with choc icing in between......heavenly!! Just for the day I forgot the calories and enjoyed every crumb of the cake. Sometimes, the simple pleasures mean so much.
Wednesday, August 18, 2004
Routemasters in London, history of women travellers and chocolate cake
Posted by
Sunrayz
at
5:41 pm
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)

|